Clean Agent Suppression Systems using IG 300 bar
IG 300 barThe IG systems use the inert gases argon and nitrogen as extinguishing agents in TOTAL FLOODING systems. Argon and nitrogen are pure, natural products present in the atmosphere. In contact with flame, they produce no type of chemical reaction and therefore no dangerous and/or corrosive decomposition products. After use, they return to the natural atmospheric cycle, causing no adverse environmental effects.
Argon and nitrogen do not damage delicate materials; they are clean, efficacious agents with no environmental impact in terms of global warming (zero GWP) or depletion of the ozone layer (zero ODP).
The extinguishing action of these gases is based primarily on lowering of the oxygen content in the area to a value of between 10% and 12%; that is, a level at which combustion cannot occur but which does not present a hazard to humans present in the area.
Argon and nitrogen are dielectric, do not soil, do not pollute, cause no adverse effects, and ensure safe and efficacious protection for objects and people. Filling the cylinders is a simple matter, since these inert gases are readily available on the market.
The heart of the IG fire extinguishing system is composed of one or two batteries of 80-liter high-pressure cylinders filled to a pressure of 200/300 bar.
During discharge, the initial storage pressure is reduced by means of calibrated orifices. The extinguishing gas is discharged into the protected area through a distribution network and low-pressure nozzles.
Thanks to the high storage pressure, the cylinders can be positioned at a considerable distance from the areas to be protected and the same battery of cylinders can protect more than one area if suitable directional valves are installed.
Any overpressure that may form in the protected area as the extinguishing agent is discharged is reduced by one or more pressure relief devices. The valves are equipped with mobile blades with calibrated counterweights that open when the pressure inside the protected area rises above a predetermined value and then re-close to guarantee that area remains flooded for at least 10 minutes after discharge.
The integrity of any volume protected by a total flooding system must be checked to locate and efficaciously seal any significant air leaks. Leaks can result in failure to maintain the specified concentration level of the extinguishing agent for the specified period of time. Verification of leaks must be conducted via the “Door Fan Test.”
- These are gases present in the atmosphere and thus readily available on the market
- Suitable for protection of occupied areas
- Does not conduct electricity
- Leaves no residues after discharge
- No potential for ozone layer depletion
- Does not contribute to increasing the greenhouse effect
- Forms no decomposition products in contact with flame
- No “fog effect” during discharge
- IG-01: suitable for protection of underfloor areas thanks to its greater density with respect to air
- IG-100, IG-55: greater maintenance time and thus less need to seal the protected area.
The IG system is designed – using dedicated software for calculating the cross-section diameters of the nozzle passages – to discharge the extinguishing gas into the protected area in 60 seconds. Discharge time is defined as the time needed to reach 95% of minimum design concentration.
For more information:
Contact Us >>
System design can be conducted in accordance with various international standards, including:
- NFPA 2001 Standard on Clean Agents Fire Extinguishing Systems
- UNI EN 15004 Parts 1, 7, 8, and 9 Installazioni fisse antincendio. Sistemi a estinguenti gassosi (Fixed Firefighting Systems. Gas Extinguishing Systems)
- VdS 2380 Feuerlöschanlagen mit nicht verflüssigten Inertgasen (Fire Extinguishing Systems Using Non-liquefied Inert Gases)
- CEA 4008 Fire Extinguishing Systems Using Non-liquefied Inert Gases. Planning and Installation
- APSAD R13 Règle d’installation. Extinction automatique à gaz (Installation Specifications – Automatic Gas Extinguishing Systems)
|Name||Argon (IG-01)||Nitrogen (IG-100)||Ar 50% – N2 50% Mixture (IG-55)|
|Purity||> 99.9%||> 99.9%||> 99.9%|
|Density at 15°C and 1013 mbar||1.69 kg/m3||1.165 kg/m3||1.41 kg/m3|
|Density with respect to air||1.38||0.97||1.17|
|Cylinder capacity||80 liters||80 liters||80 liters|
|External cylinder diameter||273 mm||273 mm||273 mm|
|Cylinder height||1700 mm||1700 mm||1700 mm|
|Complete cylinder weight||152.5 kg||137.1 kg||144.3 kg|
|Volume of extinguishing gas in cylinder with 300 bar charge||22.57 Nm3||19.89 Nm3||21.15 Nm3|
|Weight of extinguishing gas in cylinder with 300 bar charge||40.27 kg||24.88 kg||32.09 kg|
|Design concentration Class A and B UNI EN 15004 (% in volume)||41.9% ÷ 51.7%||40.3% ÷ 47.6%||40.3% ÷ 47.6%|
|LOAEL (Lowest Observed Adverse Effect Level)||52%||52%||52%|
|NOAEL (No Observed Adverse Effect Level)||43%||43%||43%|
The EUROGARDIAN srl ISO9001-certified quality system guarantees full product traceability. The extinguishing systems meet the requirements of the European Pressure Equipment Directive (PED - 97/23/EC). The components meet the requirements of the PED, of the Construction Products Directive (CPD - 89/106/CE), and of the EN 12094-series standards.
Download Brochure IG